Once upon a time, not too long ago, Long Island had many defense contractor's facilities.
AIL was one such contractor. It was started in 1945 by W.W.II scientists. It grew to over 1000 employees during the cold war. They designed and manufactured antennas, jamming equipment and radar equipment, among other things. Many aspects of the place and its business were classified.
Shortly after being bought by another contractor, EDO, it was decided to close AIL's facility for good. Now what was once top secret sits abandoned awaiting redevelopment. UPDATE demolished in 2006.
Against the wishes of neighbors, there are plans to knock the entire complex down to build a Tanger Shopping Center complete with a multiplex, restaurants and a wholesale club.